The Swaging Process
Plain Swage Standoff – A plain swage standoff (no knurl) requires a STRAIGHT HOLE. The hole diameter in the board or panel is the same as the shank (or shoulder) diameter of the standoff with a tolerance of +.003″/-.000″ (+.076 mm/-.000 mm).
Partial Knurl or Full Knurl Swage Standoff – A partial knurl or full knurl swage standoff requires a STRAIGHT HOLE in a printed circuit board. The hole diameter in the board is .010″ to .012″ smaller than the shank (or shoulder) diameter of the standoff with a tolerance of +.005″/-.000″ (+.13 mm/-.000 mm).
Methods of Installation
While some dimensions of the punch and anvil change with the size of the swage standoffs, the following dimensions remain constant:
- The punch is 2.5″ in overall length and .5″ OD
- The anvil is 1″ in overall length and .5″ OD with a 1/2-24 external thread
- Punch and anvil part numbers for swaging are listed on the individual pages of plain and partial knurl swage standoffs
- Flare tool is not supplied
- The flare angle should be the same as the countersink angle
- For flush flaring into countersunk hole use, shank length .020″ shorter than board thickness