We use state-of-the-art CNC machining capabilities to create and manufacture standard and double-bodied torsion springs in multiple wire diameters. We can produce these in either round or rectangular wire and in virtually any bend type or orientation. Materials include steel, brass, bronze, and titanium, as well as specialty alloys. The result? Whatever your application, we can help.
Custom Torsion Springs
Whatever your requirements, we’ll work with you to design and prototype a torsion spring to meet your exact specifications. Our engineers can advise on optimum dimensions and winding together with materials, finishing, corrosion-resistance, and production processes. Get in touch with one of our experts to discuss your needs.
Send us your specs or configure a spring.
Torsion Springs Overview
MW offers a selection of torsion springs with legs of equal length oriented at varying unloaded angles. Torsion springs can store and release angular energy or statically hold a mechanism in place by deflecting the legs about the body centerline axis. They offer resistance to twist or rotationally applied force. A spring of this type will reduce in body diameter and increase slightly in body length when deflected in the preferred direction of the fabricated wind. Depending on the application, torsion springs can be designed to work in a clockwise or counter-clockwise rotation, thus determining the direction of the wind. Common torsion springs are those used in a clothes pin or a garage door.
Torsion Springs Characteristics
MW Components offers a selection of torsion springs with legs of equal length oriented at varying unloaded angles. The torsion spring configuration is created for the purpose of storing and releasing angular energy or for the purpose of statically holding a mechanism in place by deflecting the legs about the body centerline axis. A spring of this type will reduce in body diamter and increase slightly in body length when deflected in the preferred direction of the fabricated wind.
The direction of the fabricated wind can also be important for torsion spring applications due to the leg bearing/attachment location having to be on the left or right side upon assembly.
A torsion spring is normally supported by a rod (mandrel) that is coincident with the theoretical hingeline of the final product.
Tolerance values for torsion springs depend on the body-diameter to wire-diameter ratio and are about +/- 10% in torque and +/- 5% in diameter.
Torsion Spring Dimensions
- Hold the spring in one hand, and the calipers in the other hand.
- Place the caliper “teeth” on the inside diameter. This is called the Inside Diameter (I.D.).
- Place the calipers on the “leg” to measure the wire. This is called Material Size (or Wire Diameter).
- Place the calipers on the working coils of the spring. This is called the Body Length. Place the calipers on the working coils of the spring. This is called the Body Length.
- Count the total coils, beginning at one end, just under where the leg leaves the body. Count to the other end, all full coils, and any fraction thereof. This is called the Number of Coils and determines leg position. i.e. 90°, 180°, etc.
- Determine the direction of the coil (Wind Direction). See diagram for hand/finger illustration. Right Hand Wind or Left Hand Wind.
Brass and steel are the most common torsion spring materials. However, the alloy selected for wire production is determined by the application, weather, temperature and other environmental considerations. Don't see what you need? Contact us for a full list.
- Carbon Steel
- Phosphorous Bronze
- Stainless Steel
We offer a range of finishing processes and industrial-grade finishes that help torsion springs resist corrosion and increase lifespan. We also provide packaging solutions to enhance product handling and workflow efficiency
- Zinc with Chromate
- Black Oxide
Our torsion springs can be made in a variety of wire diameters. Our production capabilities also support most bend types and orientations.
Spring Type & Wire Diameter
- Single-Bodied Torsion Springs: .008"-.625"
- Double-Bodied Torsion Springs: .008"-.236"
Shaped Wire Torsion Springs
Online, state-of-art CNC systems and other advanced machining capabilities enables us to design, prototype, and supply products in standard or shaped wire.